If you’ve ever had migraines, you’ll probably have another one. They don’t happen often, but when they do it can feel like a bomb went off in your head.
Now, chances are you’ve tried everything to try to get rid of them, but you just can’t seem to figure out what triggers them. You’ve gone to doctors, but they just tell you to take another type of drug. You’re tired of taking medications that have adverse side effects that disrupt your life.
While we understand it’s tiring dealing with these excruciatingly painful headaches, if you experience Migraines with Aura, you have a painful but slight advantage.
So, what are migraines with Aura?
- Migraine headaches that begin with early warning signs
- They only account for one in five migraines
- The symptoms begin 30 minutes or less before the headache
- These early warning signs, also called prodrome, may last from 5 to 20 minutes
- Symptoms may last after the headache
What are some of the symptoms?
- Blind Spots or Scotomas
- Decreased vision or partial blindness
- Seeing zigzags
- Seeing flashes
- Parasthesia (Tingling, tickling, burning, or agitation of the skin)
If you experience migraines with aura, you can take steps to stop the pain before it starts. Though, you will need to act quickly. Here are some tips to help you prevent those debilitating headaches.
- Turn off the lights – Try taking a nap in a dark, quiet room
- Temperature therapy – Ice packs have a numbing effect and heating pads relax the muscles
- Massage – Massaging your shoulders or neck will alleviate muscle tension
You don’t have that long between these early warning signs and your migraines headache, so you need to act quickly. Though, we also know you don’t want to continue to experience this pain in your life.
The good news is that you don’t have to. An examination by an upper cervical specialist can determine the cause of these headaches and make any necessary adjustments to your upper vertebra. Once these vertebra, the Atlas and Axis vertebrae, are aligned, your brain will be able to communicate with your body optimally.
Dr. Tymothy Flory, Dr. James Weiss and Dr. Jameson Wong of Atlas Spinal Care in Upland, California are Upper Cervical Specialists trained by the National Upper Cervical Chiropractic Association (NUCCA). Their upper cervical clinic also serves Claremont, La Verne, San Dimas, Glendora and surrounding areas. They are uniquely trained to correct problems in the upper cervical spine (upper neck). This vital area is intimately connected to the central nervous system and problems in this area have been shown to be an underlying cause of a variety of different health problems.