Migraines headaches have a debilitating effect on many people globally. According to The Migraine Research Institute 14 million people have migraine headaches on a daily basis. This accounts for as much as 18% of women and 6% of men in America.1
Migraines are notorious for causing head pain, visual disturbances, hearing problems, and nausea that may last hours or even days. Migraines are a difficult thing to diagnose and are even considered a disease by some doctors.
There are few effective treatments;
- the most common method is avoiding the typical triggers of coffee, red wine, and chocolate.
- The most common medication is over the counter Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs or NSAID’s which include Advil, Ibuprofen, and Tylenol.
- For more severe cases drugs range from beta blockers to seizure medications, all of which are heavy duty prescriptions.
CBS news recently reported on a new technique being used by some doctors to treat migraines. Doctors now know that very often the cause of migraines is the nerves that originate from the neck and spinal cord. When the bones in the neck are misaligned it causes abnormal motion and friction in the nerves; this affects the ability to function properly thus causing a migraines. Doctors are now injecting an anesthetic into the malfunction joints in the neck. This treatment works but only for a few days.2
This is nothing new for migraine specialist, Dr Tymothy Flory in Upland, CA, who helps patients get natural relief. As an Upper Cervical Chiropractor he focuses on the proper alignment of the spine and more importantly the atlas bone (C1 vertebra). By using detailed procedures to determine the exact location and degree of misalignment/subluxation in the neck, he can then tailor a gentle adjustment to restore proper alignment and nerve function.
Studies have shown that Upper Cervical Chiropractic is extremely effective and can help in as little as 1 or 2 adjustments.3 Once proper alignment is achieved migraines typically resolve naturally. If you are suffering and want natural relief from migraine headaches consult Dr Flory for his expertise.
- Migraine research Foundation. Migraine Fact Sheet. http://www.migraineresearchfoundation.org/fact-sheet.html (accessed 24 April 2015).
- CBS News. New approach to treating migraines focuses on neck. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-approach-to-treating-migraines-focuses-on-neck/ (accessed 24 April 2015).
- Elster EL. Upper cervical chiropractic care for a patient with chronic migraine headaches with an appendix summarizing an additional 100 headache cases. J Vert Sublux Res 2003;AUG(3):1-10
To find a doctor in your area go to www.nucca.org or if you are in the Upland, California area to schedule a consultation, just click the button below:
Dr. Tymothy Flory, Dr. James Weiss and Dr. Jameson Wong of Atlas Spinal Care in Upland, California are Upper Cervical Specialists trained by the National Upper Cervical Chiropractic Association (NUCCA). Their upper cervical clinic also serves Claremont, La Verne, San Dimas, Glendora and surrounding areas. They are uniquely trained to correct problems in the upper cervical spine (upper neck). This vital area is intimately connected to the central nervous system and problems in this area have been shown to be an underlying cause of a variety of different health problems. More information can be found on their website at http://www.atlasspinalcare.com/