Last week we talked about how upper cervical chiropractic can help autistic children, but maybe you’re not sure if your child is Autistic or not. There are signs you can watch for that will help you know if your child might deal with Autism. But they must show these signs before two years of age.
- No babbling or pointing by two yrs
- No words by 16 months or two-word phrases by age 2
- Does not respond to their name
- Diminished language or social skills
- Does not keep eye contact
- Lines up toys or other objects
- Does not smile
- Does not respond to social cues well
Helping Your Autistic Child Cope
If you think your infant deals with Autism, it’s important to understand they do not relate to the world in the same way as most people. That doesn’t mean they don’t want to. It just means they don’t understand how to. Their cerebellum, which is responsible for their motor function and many other parts of their brain that help people respond to their environment, was damaged.
What that means is as they grow up, certain ways in which they relate to the world around them will be impaired. Here are some ways in which an Autistic Child does not relate to the world according to socially acceptable means.
- Has difficulty making friends
- Has difficulty with conversations
- Their social play and imagination is impaired
- Their use of language is stereotyped, repetitive, or unusual
- Their limited interested are abnormal in intensity or focus
- They can be preoccupied with certain objects or subjects
- They may be highly adherent to to certain rituals or routines
Relating to Your Autistic Child
If your child is diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, it is important to understand that how they relate to you and the things that seem normal to you, may not seem normal to them. You will need to relate to them with patience and care, taking the time to understand them. It also means you will have a choice as to how you will care for them over the years. We hope that rather than trying to cover their symptoms with medication, you will care for their needs and seek the care of an upper cervical chiropractor. They can examine your child’s upper neck vertebrae and correct any misalignments in the upper cervical that might attribute to their neurodevelopmental disorder.
Dr. Tymothy Flory, Dr. James Weiss and Dr. Jameson Wong of Atlas Spinal Care in Upland, California are Upper Cervical Specialists trained by the National Upper Cervical Chiropractic Association (NUCCA). Their upper cervical clinic also serves Claremont, La Verne, San Dimas, Glendora and surrounding areas. They are uniquely trained to correct problems in the upper cervical spine (upper neck). This vital area is intimately connected to the central nervous system and problems in this area have been shown to be an underlying cause of a variety of different health problems.